- We belong to the large communion of Churches that constitute the Universal Catholic Church. Within this communion of Churches, there are 22 Eastern Catholic Churches (Maronite, Melkite, Ukrainian, etc.) and one Western Catholic Church (the Roman Catholic Church).
- In the Eastern Churches, we are a part of the Syriac-speaking Churches that have flourished in the Patriarchate of Antioch, founded by Peter, Head of the Apostles.
- St. Maron the hermit (410 A.D.), who lived in Apamea, Syria, is the patron Saint of our Church. Hence “Maronite,” the name of our Church.
- The Maronite community started as a monastic community in the Monastery of St Maron on the Orontes river in Syria, but considerably grew and sought refuge from persecution in the Mountains of Lebanon.
- St John Maron was our first Patriarch (707 A.D.) and resided in Kfarhay, Lebanon.
- We pride ourselves on being one of the few Churches preserving the Language of Christ (Aramaic) in our Divine Liturgy.
Holy Family Maronite Church is an Eastern Catholic Church
QUICK FACTS ABOUT THE MARONITES
- Official name: Maronite Syriac Antiochene Church.
- Founder:Followers and disciples of St. Maron the Hermit (5th Century).
- Present Head of Church:Patriarch Bshara Rai. Resides in Lebanon.
- Catholicity: In union with the Church of Rome and the Supreme Pontiff since its inception in the 5th The only Eastern Catholic Church with no Orthodox counterpart.
- Affinities: All Syriac Churches, especially Chaldeans, Syriac Orthodox, Syro-Malabar, Syro-Malankar, etc.
- Spirituality:Syriac Antiochene tradition.
- Liturgical Language:Syriac-Aramaic (language of Jesus).
- Fathers of the Church: Ephrem, St. James of Saroug, St. Isaac the Syriac, etc.
- Canonized Saints:St Sharbel, St Rafka, St Hardini and others.
- Country of Origin:Syria (until 6th century), then Lebanon.
- Population:Estimated One million in Lebanon, and more than 1.5 million in Expansion.
- Expansion:In the USA: two Eparchies (dioceses): Eparchy of St Maron (East Coast), Chancery in Brooklyn NY; Eparchy of Our Lady of Lebanon (Midwest and west Coast), Chancery in St Louis, MO.
- Between the two Eparchies in the USA, there are110 priests, 24 permanent deacons, 59 parishes, 21 missions and over two hundred thousand Maronites.
For more info on the origin and identity of the Maronite Church visit: http://www.stmaron.org/origin_identity.html
Baptism & Chrismation
Formation for this blessed event begins at least one month prior to the desired date. Please note that at least one of the Godparents should be catholic. Please contact the Priest for more information and scheduling.
Preparation for this blessed event begins at least 6 months prior to the desired date. Either the bride or groom must be a registered, active member of this parish. Please call the Priest for more information and scheduling.
The Priest will hear confessions either upon request or before Divine Liturgy.
Please notify the Priest for hospitalized or shut-in parishioners who need to receive communion.
Anointing of the Sick
The Priest will be more than happy to provide the Mystery of the anointing of the Sick to those in need. Please notify the Priest in advance.
To offer Liturgy intentions for your loved ones, deceased or living, please call the rectory or emails us.