In the Beginning
The opportunity to immigrate to America and other parts of the world attracted many of the Lebanese Maronites. Only a small group settled in the city of St. Paul.
The early settlers were blessed with the privilege of attending the Church of St. Michael. The pastor permitted the Maronites to celebrate the Maronite Liturgy at the old St. Michael’s Church on the West Side. This arrangement continued for a period of approximately 15 years.
During the year 1918, the small group of settlers were authorized to purchase a Protestant Church for the sum of $2,250.00. It was remodeled, somewhat, and converted to the Church of the Holy Family. Overtime the church became dilapidated.
Ground was broken for a new church at 203 East Robie Street in 1950. The Holy Family Church building is reminiscent of the simply detailed early Romanesque churches of Syria and Lebanon, the ancestral homeland of its parishioners. The walls of brick, trimmed with Mankato stone are surmounted by a low pitched roof of red Spanish tile. The Church of the Holy Family was dedicated on Sunday, January 28, 1951. A new Rectory was later built in 1958.
In July of 2009 we moved to our new location in Mendota Heights, where we worship today.
Holy Family Church has had many pastors over the years that have shepherded the community. We are grateful for all those priests who served us since the beginning of the last century.
Father Joseph Chebala Al-Ladakane: The first to unite the people and found the already existing Society of the Sacred Heart to purchase the Church for the Maronites and all Eastern Catholics in the City of Saint Paul in 1918.
Father Paul Rizk
Father Emmanuel Al-Khoury: First pastor of the Church of the Holy Family
Father Joseph Yazbek
Father Gabriel Malkoun
Monsignor Peter Ashkar
Father Francis Shea Served from 1946-1948
Father Joseph Ziade Served from 1948-1977
Father Michael Kail (associate pastor) served in 1977
Father John McGuire Served from 1977-1983
Father Peter Mahfoud Served from 1983-1992
Father Joseph Akiki Served from 1992-1993
Father Anthony Weiler Served from 1993-1995
Father Louis Baz Served from 1995-1996
Father Bakhos Chidiac Served from 1996-2001
Father Stephen Bonian Served from 2001-2003
Father Rodrigue Constantin Served from 2003-2014
Father Emanuel Nakhleh Served from 2014 to Present